The Young Peoples Forum
The Young People's Forum was set up in 2006 after a suggestion made at the Social Regeneration Conference. It was recommended that instead of older members of the community deciding what young people wanted and needed, the young people themselves should be given a voice. The Young People's Forum gives a voice to young Docklanders and is an opportunity for them to have their voice heard.
At the moment there are 14 members of the Forum who meet every month to share ideas and discuss issues that affect young Docklanders directly.
They've been involved in Public Consultations for the Docklands Chimney Park, the Skate Park and the new Youth Café opening in Ringsend later this year.
They were also involved in developing the Garda Forum. Some young people in the Docklands felt that relations between young Docklanders and the Guards needed to improve. Now people can talk to the Guards in confidence about any problems they feel are affecting young people in the area.
In September 2007, members of the Young People's Forum travelled to Sunderland to take part in a leadership course in Active Citizenship. The Forum worked together with Sunderland Youth Parliament and Independent Facilitators to learn the best ways of promoting and leading in a society.
Active citizenship is an important issue for the Docklands Authority. The Young People's Forum is a way of ensuring the development of Active Citizenship with young people.
The Docklands Young Peoples Forum has five main purposes:
1. To offer Young People a direct input into the development of the Dublin Docklands.
2. To give Young People the chance to describe to the Docklands Authority what it is like being a Young Person living in the Docklands area.
3. To offer Young People the opportunity to develop their leadership skills, because they are the leaders of tomorrow.
4. To ensure that Young People have a voice in the Docklands
5. To meet regularly to discuss many different topical issues which involve and relate to Young People in the Docklands community.
To date the Young Peoples Forum has worked on numerous projects including:
- Consultation on Playgrounds and Events
- Development of a Youth Website
- Formation of a Docklands Garda Forum (North & South Docklands)
- Youth Exchange and twinning with Sunderland
- Completion of an Active Citizenship / Leadership Programme
- Provision of a Youth café Facility in Docklands
If you are interested in joining the Young People's Forum please contact Olive McKenna Burke at 01-8183300 or email OmcKennaBurke@dublindocklands.ie