History and Heritage
Nineteenth-century Dublin was not a city of factories. Most working men were employed as labourers and carters on the docks and railways.
Originally situated upriver at Wood Quay and close to Christchurch Cathedral until the new Custom House opened in the 1790s.
One of Dublin’s finest 18th-Century buildings.
Many of the houses built in the Docklands during the nineteenth century were cheap, of low quality, and they were often squashed in back lanes and alleys.
The Dublin Docklands Area comprises of 520 hectares or 1300 acres of land on the north and south banks of the river Liffey.